Happy Fourth of July! Everyone knows that there’s nothing quite like biting into a juicy, saucy burger with tasty toppings on a summer day.
Here’s a fun recipe using an Impossible meat as an easy plant-based meat replacement, with a summer fruit twist! We’re not against meat. We do love it. But we do believe that eating less meat and more plants can improve your overall health and well-being, so this recipe celebrates plant-based ingredients without sacrificing any of the flavor.
Dietary notes: Vegan, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Nut-free
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes (butternut squash) 5 minutes (burger)
• 1 lb Impossible burger meat
• ½ red onion, diced (see photos for the best way to dice an onion)
• 1 small peach, diced
• ¼ cup fresh herbs, such as dill, cilantro, parsley
• ½ tsp sea salt (SPOOG)
• ½ tsp ground black pepper (SPOOG)
• ½ tsp granulated garlic (SPOOG)
• 1 Tbsp olive oil (SPOOG)
• ¼ tsp cayenne
• 1 small butternut squash, seeds removed and sliced into thin rounds
• 2 Tbsp olive oil
• SPOOG to taste
Vegan Pesto (pulse all below ingredients in food processor or blender until smooth):
• 1 cup tightly packed fresh basil
• 1/4 cup pine nuts
• 2 large cloves garlic
• 2 oz. / 1/4 cup EVOO
• Sea salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
• Juice from 1/2 lemon
• 3 T nutritional yeast
• 8 slices @Grindstonebakery gluten-free bread (or some other burger bun/bread)
• ½ Roma tomato, thinly sliced
• ½ avocado, thinly sliced
• 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
• Butternut squash slices (above) → Great cheese replacement!
• Vegan pesto (above)
Preheat grill on medium-high to 500 degrees, or oven to 425 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine all burger patty ingredients well with hands. Form into 4 patties of equal thickness.
Toss butternut squash with SPOOG.
If grilling: Turn heat to medium. Cook about 8-10 minutes until dark grill marks are shown. Flip and cook another 5-10 minutes. Reserve under foil.
If baking: Lie butternut flat on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast until golden brown and soft, about 20-30 minutes.
Prep burger stuffings. Grill or toast bread slices for 5 minutes until brown on the outside and soft on the inside.
Stack burgers! Bread slathered with dijon + burger patty + tomato + butternut squash + avocado + pesto + bread slathered with dijon.
Eat hot with roasted potatoes & fresh salad on the side!