We recently had the pleasure of being led in class by the amazing Kelly Powers MA, RDN. Kelly, a Registered Dietitian and Culinary Nutritionist, has built her culinary expertise around the principles of the Mediterranean diet. I am a HUGE proponent of the Mediterranean diet—as highlighted in my new book (Mediterranean Diet Dinners) which showcases the remarkable health benefits and some tasty, nutritious recipes.
This class was SO good that I just had to share the recipe here on the blog! This vegetarian dish is super simple to make, but is full of rich complex flavours. Baked Giant Beans will take you around 60 minutes to whip up, making it perfect for end-of-the week nights when you have a bit more time to put some love into your evening meal!
If you’re usually a meat-lover, this dish particularly might be a hit with you, as you’re hit with richness from the creamy goat’s cheese, and punchy flavours with the delicious herby pesto.
Tiny Kitchen Club members loved cooking this meal, and we’ve got some amazing dishes coming up in our programming for the rest of 2023. Be sure to check the Tiny Kitchen Club cooking classes out!
Baked Giant Beans with Goat Cheese and Parsley Pesto
(Recipe credit to Kelly Powers)
Total Time: 60 minutes / Prep Time: 15 minutes / Cook Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 2 servings
Gluten-free / Dairy-Free / Pescatarian / Vegetarian optional / Vegan optional
- 2 cups (8oz) butter beans, rinsed (*Opt to use dried – soak overnight and boil for 1-2 hours with salt before class for the highest quality beans)
- 2 cups strained tomatoes, no salt added (or choose Italian pasta sauce of choice for easy flavor)
- ½ cup yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Fresh herbs of choice: 8 sprigs fresh thyme and/or rosemary; OR 2 teaspoons dried herbs of choice: rosemary, thyme, basil, oregano, tarragon
- Pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- ¼ cup red wine or balsamic vinegar (optional for sauce)
- 6-8 oz. goat cheese (or sheep’s feta)
- 1 cup (1 bunch) parsley leaves, chopped off stems
- 4 tablespoons (2 ea) green onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, toasted
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (about ½ lemon)
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 whole wheat pitas (optional) or 2 cups cooked farro
- Fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- To make baked giant beans: Heat oven to 350°F. Sauté onion in 2 teaspoons of olive oil on low heat until soft. Add garlic and sauté for an additional two minutes. Add pasta sauce, season to liking with fresh herbs, dried herbs, red wine and/or balsamic vinegar. Add a few large pinches of sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Let sauce simmer until thick, about 10 minutes. Taste and adjust to liking.
- Gently fold in beans. transfer to an oven-safe dish, top with goat cheese, and bake for 10-20 minutes, until the sauce is boiling, and the cheese is melted.
- In the meantime, make the parsley pesto: In a food processor, pulse parsley, green onion, walnuts, lemon juice, 2 tsp olive oil, salt, and pepper until smooth.
- Top the beans with the pesto sauce and serve with toasted pita.